Our English Curriculum
Led by Miss Brewer
English Subject Intent
At Nash Mills we aim to deliver a high-quality education in English that will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others. English is both a subject in its own right and the medium for teaching across all subjects; for pupils, understanding the language provides access to the whole curriculum. We believe that fluency in the English language is an essential foundation for success in all subjects. Our teachers develop pupils’ spoken language, reading, writing and vocabulary as integral aspects of the curriculum.
Through our English curriculum, we promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
Sequencing of Content
Writing is sequenced by ensuring coverage across all genres throughout the year groups and within the year group the expectation increases over the year.
There are progressions documents for writing, grammar, phonics, spelling and reading.
All children are supported to access the learning through support and scaffolding.
In writing word banks, writing frames and adult support aids all children.
Reading is matched closely to the children's levels through regular assessment and a robust approach to guided reading.
How we add richness through discussion and cultural capital
All our writing units are based on high quality, word rich, age related texts.
Children's opinions are welcomed and valued through discussion and 'Think, pair share' allows children to develop their ideas in a safe nurturing environment.
Children have a range of books to read during guided reading and have books matched to their level to take home.
A reading spine has been developed so all children have the opportunity to listen to high quality, diverse texts at school; read with passion and enthusiasm.
How this subject supports our Christian vision
All contributions are respected and praised in a safe nurturing environment. Children are exposed to rich, diverse texts and all staff encourage a love of reading and learning.
English Subject Impact
Children will be able to:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and inference skills for reading, writing and spoken language
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- form letters and joins correctly to develop a neat cursive handwriting style
- be exposed to spelling patterns and rules
Schemes used to support our English curriculum
|Phonics||Read Write Inc.|
Oxford Reading Tree