Implementation of a Clear Reading Process
Our curriculum for guided reading progresses through three areas:
- In Early Years and Year 1, planning, texts and expectations are derived from the Read, Write Inc. scheme in line with our phonics teaching.
- Through Year 1, Year 2 and into Year 3, they will primarily use the Oxford Reading Tree schemes in Heroes Academy and Story Sparks.
- As pupils move onto the Brown reading band, they will primarily use the Oxford Reading Tree and Greatest Stories resources.
- As pupils move past this into Year 4, 5 and 6, they will primarily use the Badger reading scheme.
Guided Reading Lessons
- Guided Reading will take place daily for around 30 minutes.
- Guided reading will be delivered in a consistent way across the school. Usually, on the first day each week, there will be a whole class session to explore and interrogate a text together. Following this, there will be a daily carousel of reading related activities. Planning will allow for all pupils to have at least one session each week working with an adult.
- Group and whole class reading will focus on a specific weekly reading domain for the first half of each term. Teachers will identify areas which need more development for the second half.
- Each week the ‘Pawsome Gang’ Dog will be displayed and explicitly used to make sure children are clear on which reading skill is being taught.