All of our learners will have:
- The opportunity to develop excellent skills across a range of areas and using a wide variety of resources and media.
- The ability to evaluate their own art and that made by others.
- A practical approach to design, through a clear process of planning and evaluating. They will be able to discuss ideas and challenge others.
- Spirituality. A clear sense of how art and other media makes them feel and how these things can affect others.
- The opportunity to record from first-hand experiences and imagination.
- A critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- Knowledge about great artists crafts makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of art forms.
Key areas of Knowledge
- Artists (architects, draft makers, designers in history)
- Techniques (colours, patterns, texture, shape, line, form and space)
- Materials (pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
How the subject is taught
The curriculum builds on progression and variety of skills throughout each year group, with a clear focus on progression as pupils move through the school.
Art will be taught in a block where appropriate to do so:
- Creative curriculum: Where possible there will be cross curricular links to subjects such as History, Geography or Science.
- Skills will be required to be taught as well as time to allow the children to practice skills before completing a final product.
- Children will be required to evaluate their own finished works of art
KS1 - make links to artists and artisans and that of their own work
KS2 – review and revisit their own ideas
- Each year group will cover one painting, one drawing and one 3D unit (mosaics, sculpture) each year.
What we see in classrooms
- Every class has an Art display board of final works completed
How learning is recorded
- KS2 pupils to have an art book to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Both KS1 and KS2 have an Art folder, which will be used to record learning such as planning and exploring art techniques.
However, where appropriate, art works will be sent home and the class teacher will take a photograph and save this on the server